Memorial Health Care Center Occupational Therapist in Owosso, Michigan
JOB SUMMARY Evaluation and treatment of functional deficits, especially those that affect activities of daily living, fine motor or cognitive functions. Development and implementation of treatment programs. Delegation to and supervision of COTA and support staff. Patient, family, and community education. Documentation of the above information and activities. EDUCATION: Graduate from an accredited Occupational Therapy Program. Licensed or eligible for licensure in the state of Michigan. EXPERIENCE: Demonstrated competency in the practice of Occupational Therapy during clinical affiliations or previous employment. JOB KNOWLEDGE: Demonstrated competence in the practice of Occupational Therapy. Clinical knowledge including exercise principles, injuries and disease processes, human growth and development and sufficient knowledge of age related factors and processes to plan and carry out the most appropriate treatment program for patients in all age groups served. PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES 1. Assesses patients to determine their needs, strengths, age related problems, and rehabilitation potential. This includes periodic reassessment. 2. Plans individualized treatment programs, based on assessment results, physician's order, and clinical judgement. 3. Documents all necessary information in the patient's medical record. 4. Delegates treatment tasks to others as appropriate (e.g., COTA, technician, student) and monitors application and results of treatment. The OT is legally responsible for supervising all treatment delegated to non-OTs. 5. Coordinates services and treatment plan with patient, family, and other disciplines.
- Teaches patient and family regarding disease or injury, treatment plan, self-help measures, and preventive care.
- Treats patients according to the assessment results and treatment plan established, using age appropriate techniques, materials, and activities.
- Provides education to other departments and to the public in the form of inservices, lectures, or classes.
- Provides Home Health services if needed: Assesses home accessibility and other ADL needs, and provides treatment as indicated in the home environment.
- Provides assessment, treatment and consultation services to any entity under contract to Memorial for these services.
- Demonstrates job related aspects of patent safety to assure a safe environment, safe and effective use of equipment and technology, and decreased risk of potential adverse patient occurrences.
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of patients served. Must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the unit's and division's policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and supports hospital's mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, corporate compliance plan, customer service standards and the code of ethical behavior.