Macomb County Office Assistant in Mount Clemens, Michigan
*JOB SUMMARY: *
Performs routine to moderately difficult clerical duties according to established policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs clerical duties according to established policies and procedures.
Records or posts information in journals, files, and/or other departmental records.
Verifies the accuracy of information and prepares forms, records, requests for funds, and other documents.
Types and/or prepares vouchers, forms, memos, letters, records and other correspondence according to established policies and procedures.
Performs calculations and compiles information for and prepares various documents and reports.
Opens, sorts, tallies, and records payments and other documents received.
Enters information on records and forms.
Compiles and maintains departmental files.
Distributes notices, forms, and other documents.
Makes duplicate copies of reports and/or information and routes to proper persons, departments and/or files.
Receives incoming telephone calls and e-mails; provides assistance by answering questions and inquiries appropriate to skill level; relays messages to appropriate individuals or departments.
Operates standard office equipment such as personal computers, fax machines, copiers, scanners, calculatoes, and adding machines.
Performs related work as required.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma (or GED equivalent)
Preferred Education and Experience
- Previous clerical work experience COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Modern office procedures and methods
- Various and speciality designed data processing/compute systems and applications for office administration across many departments in the County
- Interpersonal skills necessary to develop and maintain effective and appropriate working relationships with staff and the public
- Providing customer service to internal and external customers via phone, email and in person
- Performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature
- Performing basic mathematical functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, and ratios
- Organizaztion and time management
- Operating personal computers with current versions of office efficiency software and applications
- Performing data entry to multiple types of database applications for registration, enrollment, service provision, billing, inventory, and statistical review and reporting
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers with tact and courtesy
- Effectively speak, write, and understand the English language
- Speak and understand a language other than English is preferred
- Understand and carry out oral and written directions
- Meet schedules and deadlines of the work
- Accurately organize and maintain paper documents and electronic files
- Maintain the confidentiality of information and professional boundaries
- Perform low to moderate level clerical/administrative related duties with a high degree of accuracy
- Learn new policies, practices and procedures
- Read and understand laws, rulings, and other published guidance
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Works in an office environment and uses a computer, telephone and other office equipment as needed to perform duties. The noise level in the work environment is typical of that of an office with frequent contact with customers.
Bends, stoops and reaches in order to file, search for and retrieve records and documents.
Lifts, moves and carries equipment and supplies that weigh up to 24 pounds.
Manual dexterity and regular fine-finger and hand/wrist motions are required for operating a keyboard, writing and filing.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
General Requirements and/or Disclaimers
Complies with P.A. 390, as amended, known as the State’s Emergency Management Act and the County’s Emergency Management resolution as well as all related plans, policies and procedures covered by those statutes.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include, making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternative format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment, amongst other possible accommodations.
The American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) - Local 411 represents this bargaining unit. Therefore, there may be contract language which may require consideration in the selection process.
Salary: $30,546.46 - $38,740.42 Annually
Location: Mount Clemens, MI
Job Type: Full-time
Department: County Clerk
Job Number: 20-00450
Closing: 1/20/2021 5:00 PM Eastern
Agency: Macomb County
Address: 1 South Main Street 6th Floor Mount Clemens, Michigan, 48043
DEPARTMENT: County Clerk
HIRING AUTHORITY: County Clerk/Register of Deeds
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
EMPLOYMENT RELATIONSHIP: Just cause subject to probationary period
CURRENT HOURS AND STARTING TIME: Full-time (37.5 hours per week) position. The starting time for this position is currently 8:00 a.m.