Corteva Agriscience Construction Manager in Midland, Michigan
The Engineering and Operations Technology (E&OT) is a function within Corteva Agriscience, that is chartered to deliver capital solutions, engineering, and project execution expertise across Corteva, to deliver fit-for-purpose facilities and capabilities, for both the Crop Protection and Seeds Platforms. This organization has many exciting new job opportunities, including a Construction Manager position, based at Midland, MI, USA , the largest site for Corteva’s Crop Protection business.
This is a full-time Midland based role to lead the owner-led Construction Management Team for the largest Capital Project in Corteva, currently underway in Midland. This project is a part of a long-term capital program that is planned for the Midland site. Successful delivery of the current project, by adopting the latest industry-standard and fit-for-purpose productivity improvement tools and systems, demonstrating leadership, resiliency, financial acumen, and strategic level thinking, are key expectations of this role. Intra and inter-functional collaboration and the ability to successfully work with internal and external stakeholders are additional critical success factors.
As the lead Construction Manager for this on-going business critical large project, the chosen Construction Manager shall deftly pick-up and lead the construction management at site, adapting swiftly with all the contract partners and stakeholders. As an active member of the project leadership team, the ideal candidate shall assure construction contracting and safety strategies are effective and deliver on the commitment to business. Being well-versed in hands-on core owner construction management competencies such as developing the most effective construction strategies, providing the best constructability inputs during FEED, adopting Lean Construction tools and effective techniques for executing cost and schedule driven capital projects without an injury / incident are paramount.
This position will functionally and administratively report to the Global Construction Management Leader and be accountable to the Project Leader for the specific Project(s). The right candidate can seize this as a career-building opportunity, eventually leading into a people-leadership position within Corteva.
Corteva Agriscience is an equal opportunity employer who believes in ‘Diversity and Inclusion’. We enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, and are passionate about living ‘Corteva Values’, being operationally excellent, valuing people and deliver business results. If you consider yourself as the best fit for Corteva, we will welcome you!
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES / ACCOUNTABILITIES INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
• Effectively lead the construction team consisting of a mix of owner and various contractor resources throughout the late FEED and execution phases of the project. Develop a diverse group of individuals from multiple companies into an effective team all focused on implementing the project successfully.
• Drive safety performance, construction schedule, construction quality and construction cost effectiveness adopting lean construction and productivity improvement techniques, during FEED and during construction phase.
• Propose / challenge the proposed construction activity durations / sequence and the organization plan and drive the team for the best workable and cost-effective solutions.
• Strategically plan and lead complex, multi-discipline construction project(s) so they deliver optimum capital solutions.
• Assure competent and experienced resources are assigned from our contract partners.
• Assure safety, schedule, quality of work, cost performance and change management of all field construction activities on the project.
• Ensure Construction effectiveness/competitiveness in the capital programs are accomplished through consideration of alternatives with all the risks duly assessed with risk / benefit trade-offs.
• Apply the best constructability techniques and contracting solutions such that the facilities can be safely built, operated and maintained.
• Oversee and manage contractors’ performance for quality and completeness for sequential turnover of packages as per the commissioning plan.
• Provide input on equipment and materials marshalling at the construction site. Ensure a robust inventory management and contractor hand-off of materials for the assigned project
• Ensure quality requirements are defined, establish / validate and implement the project Quality Assurance / Quality Control plan and Metrics for the assigned project and that the deliverables meet user’s expectations.
• Review and approve contractor invoicing of completed work.
• Accountable to ensure that the Safety trend analysis / safety leading indicators are documented and monitored for safety performance improvement.
• Ensure construction inputs are provided during stage-wise design reviews and field audit processes are in place and effective.
• Drive construction technology applications to advance construction productivity, construction safety, cost effectiveness and continuous improvement
• Ensure all construction processes of the projects being managed, strictly adhere to the Corteva’s Corporate/Business Intellectual Property (IP) / Trade Secrets (TS) content policy
• Connect with external organizations such as CII, CURT, IPA, etc., to bring “Outside-In” to advance Continuous Improvement in Construction Management technologies, practices, and procedures
KEY INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER ROLES:
• Global Construction Management Leader for overall functional guidance.
• Construction Safety, EHS&S Professionals – for managing robust safety and Construction Contract processes and consultation
• Capital Execution Leader, NA region – to ensure construction management expectations are in line with Projects and business objectives
• Project Controls Organization – to partner effectively to deliver projects on time and within budget
• Project Leader, Project Engineers, peer Construction Managers – contribute to Project Execution Strategy, receive input for Contracting Plan, Project Constructability Plan for management and control, and to obtain support for development of the construction site, lay down areas, marshalling, contractor facilities, etc.
• Contractor Construction Manager – ensures awareness and compliance with site, local and corporate requirements for managing construction activities on the work site.
• Procurement – for contracting strategies / procurement plan, implementation and for overall operational discipline of contractors and vendors at site and managing defect liability issues pertaining to installations
• Accounts Payable – to ensure timely payment
• Plant Leadership – for effective construction management in or adjacent to operating facilities, obtaining installation quality expectations early on the project and for successful acceptance verifications and turnover.
EDUCATION AND REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related field
• 10 -15 years of construction management experience both brown in field and green field projects
• Familiarity / working knowledge of Primavera P6 to validate / review / comment. Awareness to P6 Enterprise, tools like Synchro 4D modelling will be an added advantage.
• Familiar with Risk Management practices and procedures
• Ability to be employed legally in the USA, fluency in English
• Should have successfully managed construction on large sites / large projects (>$150 MM-$200MM) / concurrently handled multiple large projects of over $50 MM.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Industry standard best practice in Construction Management, Construction Safety Management and Construction Quality Management
• Use of industry accepted Microsoft applications - Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.
• Broad understanding of EPC disciplines and activities that are necessary to design, construct, and start-up plants.
SOFT SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Self-motivated and ability to independently manage construction and safety right from FEED to project closeout, and be receptive to strategic directions
• Great time management skills including the ability to manage a substantial work load.
• Interpersonal skills for working in a multi-functional team environment, with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and to deliver per project objectives.
• Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and desire to expand knowledge and grow professionally.
• Ability to plan, prioritize and execute multiple concurrent activities and deliver on commitments under tight time constraints.
• English fluency in speaking and writing, be an active listener.
• Sound interpersonal and communication skills, confidence, and ability to negotiate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
DOMESTIC RE-LOCATION: Available within USA
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Limited travel expected
Let’s peek at how you can grow your wellbeing, health, and future at Corteva!
• Strike a better work-life balance with robust time off benefits including paid maternity, paternal and family illness leave
• Prepare for your future with our competitive retirement savings plan, tuition reimbursement program, and more
• Enjoy access to health benefits for you and your family on your first day of employment
• And much, much more!
Ready to grow your perspectives, impact and career? Start by applying to this opportunity today!
Corteva Agriscience ™, the world's first dedicated agriculture start-up, serves to enrich the lives of those who produce and those who consume, ensuring progress for generations to come. Our employees fulfill this purpose everyday by building/participating in an inclusive culture where we encourage each other to stay curious, think differently, act boldly and do what's right for our customers, our co-workers, our partners and our planet. With over 20,000 team members from 130 countries, innovating in 140 world class R&D facilities, we have the resources, leadership heritage and partner ecosystem to make a meaningful impact now and into the future.
Corteva Agriscience, the agriculture division of DowDuPont, is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit: Accessibility Page for Contact Information For US Applicants: See the 'Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law' poster For our U.S. Affirmative Action Policy, click here
- Corteva Agriscience Jobs