North Shore Healthcare Life Enrichment Specialist - Full-Time 1st Shift in Menominee, Michigan
We are a 5 STAR Center with a ROCKSTAR Team!
Trust, engagement, competence, respect and passion – these are the values under which North Shore Healthcare operates every day. Our dedicated team of professionals strive to deliver quality care to our residents and their families. We are one of the leading employers and providers of post-acute care in the Midwest and we are seeking exceptional individuals to join our team. If you value being a leader, working in a progressive environment and having opportunities to grow in your career, North Shore Healthcare is the Right Choice for you.
Summary of position:
Responsible for supervising, creating and providing an exciting life enrichment program appropriate for the physical, social, cultural, spiritual, emotional and recreational needs for each resident. Provides the opportunity for residents to engage in normal pursuits while promoting a successful and well-balanced leisure lifestyle. Work with the various disciplines to assist the resident in reaching their highest level of independence. Plans and monitors leisure activities for recreation and therapeutic purposes designed to enhance the quality of life for each resident while maintaining an open working relationship with the resident’s center or guardian.
Requirements of the position:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, evaluates and directs the Activity program
- Assesses individual/group resident/patient needs and develops related meaningful morning, afternoon, evening and special programs
- Prepares and posts a monthly schedule of activities
- Coordinates, directs and/or conducts all planned activities
- Establishes and maintains good public relations and rapport with community groups, to provide outside activities and special projects for residents (i.e. church services, special concerts, school group visits, etc.)
- Assists patient/residents with the voting process by helping them register and obtaining absentee ballots when necessary
- Assists with resident council by providing a meeting place, nametags, and other assistance as determined by resident council
- Coordinates volunteer services through orientation, training, and direction of volunteers
- Prepares and plans department budget for equipment, supplies, programs and labor and submits to Executive Director for review, recommendation and approval
- Seeks methods to control costs
- Documents in patient/resident’s medical record as appropriate. Charts resident’s attitude, participation level, etc. Attends patient/resident care conferences, updates Activity care plans with progress notes, goals and treatment plans
- Confers with and reports to Executive Director on a regular basis or as particular situations requires
- Coordinates the writing, printing and distribution of the center newsletter
- Handles department equipment according to standard procedures
- Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy
- Ensures customer service standards for the nursing department
- Ensures nurses administer discipline fairly and according to the handbook
- Ensures nurses prepare the written evaluations as required
- Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and act in accordance with Center’s Compliance Program
- Attends and participates in in-service training, performance improvement (“PI”) committees and other meetings as scheduled and directed
- Knows and follows center’s rules
- Follows center dress and hygiene policies
- Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs
- Follows center smoking policies
- Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate center personnel
- Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor
- Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Center Disaster Plan
- Uses required protective equipment
- Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures
- Resident Rights
- Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights.
- Reports resident/patient complaints to management
- Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information
- Follows and adheres to Center’s policies and procedures implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information
- Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks
- Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or procedures to Center Privacy Designee
Required Education and Experience:
- Must be a qualified therapeutic recreation specialist or an activities professional who is currently licensed or registered, as required, by the State and is eligible for certification as a therapeutic recreation specialist or as an activity’s professional by a recognized accrediting body
- Two (2) years of experience in a social or Life Enrichment program within the last five (5) years, one (1) of which was full-time in a patient activities program in a health care setting.
- Completed a training course as approved by the State
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft products
- Must have valid driver’s license
- Class B license or ability to obtain within six months of hire as required by site.
- Satisfactory driving record with no more than three (3) moving violations in the past three (3) years
- No record of Reckless Driving or DUI/DWI in the past seven (7) years
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, leadership skills, interpersonal relationship skills and knowledge of federal and state regulations governing activities practice and leadership.
- Strong assessment skills, including good insights into resident preferences and needs. Demonstrated strong communication and relationship building skills with residents, and ability to explain resident needs to others as needed for resident advocacy.
We offer a comprehensive benefit packages which includes:
- Health insurance for full-time employees starting the first of the month following 30 days of employment
- Dental and vision insurance for full and part-time staff
- 401(K) Program for full and part-time staff
- 6 paid holidays plus one floating holiday for full-time staff
- Company paid life insurance for full-time staff
- Voluntary life and disability insurance for full-time staff
- Paid Time Off
Our mission is to establish a culture that reinforces the values necessary to be the premier health services provider and employer in each of the communities we serve. We understand that choosing where you want to go in your career is a big decision. We would like the opportunity to show you that North Shore Healthcare is the Right Choice for you.