Munson Medical Center East Region Patient Liaison in Grayling, Michigan
Graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized, accredited school of nursing, social work (BSW or MSW), or other healthcare field, and currently licensed and in good standing with the State of Michigan required if applicable. Master’s Degree preferred.
A minimum of 5 years of professional experience in healthcare services. Must be able to comprehend health care information and discuss care processes with all levels of care providers in order to resolve patient grievances. Must exhibit dedication to complaint resolution by using process of inquiry. The ability to listen free of judgment is a requirement.
Exceptional problem solving and communication skills required. Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital personnel, outside customers, and community groups. Demonstrated work experience in direct patient problem solving in an inpatient or outpatient setting preferred.
Requires independent judgment and action skills. Must maintain high level of confidentiality and ability to prioritize multiple tasks/activities. Strong organizational skills and the ability to concentrate while being subject to multiple interruptions and changing work priorities.
Must be able to collect, synthesize and interpret large amounts of data related to customer satisfaction. Strong writing skills to prepare professional level correspondence, presentations, and management reports.
Reports directly to the Regional Director of Quality Assurance. Also accountable to the Chief Quality and Safety Officer with accountability to applicable community hospital Presidents. Works collaboratively with members of Patient Relations, Patient Safety, Clinical Quality, Loss Prevention, Infection Prevention, Nursing and Medical Staff leadership.
Works directly with patients, families, and appropriate staff to resolve concerns/complaints/grievances and maintain positive relationships.
May receive direction from Administrators, and other department directors.
AGE OF PATIENTS SERVED:
No direct clinical contact with patients
Supports the Mission, Vision and Values of Munson Healthcare
Embraces and supports the Performance Improvement philosophy of Munson Healthcare.
Promotes personal and patient safety. Is aware that safety is a self-responsibility. Knows the physical requirements of the job and works within those guidelines. Performs job duties safely at all times, utilizing learned body mechanics and transferring/lifting techniques. Plans actions to promote safety. Reports any unsafe situation/equipment according to hospital procedure.
Uses effective customer service/interpersonal skills at all times.
Supports patient rights consistent with the overall goals and requirements of regulatory agencies including:
· Investigates verbal and written complaints involving quality of medical care and services. Researches medical records, interviews involved parties, documents findings, formulates responses, and generates correspondence reflecting appropriate conclusions/resolutions.
· Applies techniques of problem solving, active listening, negotiation, diplomacy, and diffusion of emotions, with people who are anxious, ill, or angry.
· Responds to requests for support from clinical areas with volatile or sensitive patient/family interactions.
· Utilizes the databases and systems for investigating, communicating, recording, tracking, and responding to, occurrences/complaints/grievances.
· Champions performance improvement efforts to continually improve our processes and systems. Recognizes patient dissatisfaction trends which are based upon input obtained from all customers and employees and communicates these appropriately.
· Collaborates with administrators, managers, physicians, and hospital staff to effectively resolve complaints and patient care issues. Investigates complaints and occurrences and processes according to policy (including but not limited to Peer Review Process, Physician Complaint Management, Abuse & Neglect).
· Provides planned, as well as just in time, education related to customer service and patient rights.
· Interprets the Patient Rights and Responsibilities for the patient/family. Maintains a
working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, the Corporate Compliance Program, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
· Models desired customer service behaviors and expectations. Coaches others in need of improvement, and reinforces behavior that meets and/or exceeds customer service expectations. Demonstrates that customer service, rooted in the Munson values is encouraged, admired, and rewarded.
· Supports and assists Language Access needs for Limited English Proficient patients and/or families.
Supports the functions of, and collaborates with other members of Risk Management, Patient Safety, & Patient Liaison team.
Uses computer applications (Power Chart, Word, Excel, Power Point, VOICE, RL Solutions Feedback, Outlook, etc.) efficiently and effectively.
Performs other duties as assigned.