Fleis & VandenBrink Human Resources Director in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Become a part of one of the 101 “Best and Brightest Companies to Work for.” Fleis & VandenBrink (F&V) is a highly successful, growth-oriented civil and environmental engineering/architectural firm that provides a wide range of services to municipal, industrial, institutional, commercial, private development and state agency clients throughout Michigan and Indiana.
Currently we are looking for an experienced Director of Human Resources to join our firm and support our clients, co-workers and core principles – “understand our customers and satisfy their needs, do what we say we are going to do and have fun.” The ideal candidate will possess at least ten years of human resource management experience required, with strategic, talent management, and/or business development experience highly preferred. A Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required; Master’s degree highly preferred and SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential preferred.
The essential functions for the position are:
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains HR staff.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy. Duties/Responsibilities:
Collaborates with executive leadership and Strategic Planning Team to define the organization’s long-term mission and goals; identifies ways to support this mission through talent management.
- Provides vision, leadership, planning, project coordination and management for the development of a cost-effective department while concurrently facilitating efficient operations to meet current and future business needs within the organization.
- Ensures continuity and successful delivery of functional services to users throughout the organization.
- Manages the talent acquisition process, which may include recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants, particularly for managerial, exempt, and professional roles; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Provides overall prioritization of work assignments and management of functional team resources and their activities.
- Promotes proactive approaches using the company's HRIS to solve business needs/problems, while also enhancing the understanding and acceptance of the HRIS capabilities.
- Updates and maintains Employee handbook/policies and procedures.
- Negotiates priorities and support requirements with the IT department for functional staff at the field locations and others as appropriate based on business and software/hardware needs.
- Builds and maintains a strong functional team through effective recruiting, training, coaching, team building and succession planning.
- Establishes procedures to ensure all internal customers are assisted appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Participates in the preparation of staff development plans for each functional associate. Assesses the skills and skill levels necessary to achieve work objectives.
Maintains awareness of vendor plans and the potential impact of those plans on current and future functionality. The Ideal candidate will possess the following:
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Thorough understanding of human resource principles, practices, and procedures.
- Experienced in service center related technologies.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organizations HRIS and talent management systems. At F&V, our goal is to recruit and retain great people and in turn provide a great employee experience. We offer a collaborative team environment, competitive salaries and benefit program, performance bonus incentives, and support for training and career development.
Apply today for this exciting and fast paced opportunity with our dynamic firm! A cover letter along with salary history & expectations is requested to accompany your resume.
Equal Opportunity Employer; F&V does not sponsor any required visas