Whirlpool Corporate Strategy & Business Development Director - M&A in Benton Harbor, Michigan
Corporate Strategy & Business Development Director - M&A
Date: Oct 5, 2020
Location: Benton Harbor, MI, US, 49022-2692
Company: Whirlpool Corporation
Requisition ID: 39653
Whirlpool Corporation is consistently recognized by Fortune Magazine as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies. Our values are the driving force behind everything we do. Respect, integrity, diversity and inclusion, teamwork and the spirit of winning propel our teams to excellence. Get to know us and see what it's like to be part of the world's leading major home appliance company.
The Global Corporate Strategy team is aligned with the C-suite at Whirlpool, and drives initiatives in the following major areas: Strategic Planning, Competitive Intelligence, Strategic Imperatives, Inhouse Consulting, and Mergers & Acquisitions. The position has responsibility for the M&A strategy, as well as assessment and execution of specific acquisition, joint venture, alliance and divestiture opportunities on a global basis.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Mergers & Acquisitions Strategy and Execution: Lead strategy development for M&A initiatives to support the corporate, regional, and functional strategies. Translate M&A strategy into actionable initiatives with clear process and content ownership. Drive business case development in support of M&A and asset acquisition/divestiture targets in line with our global Strategic Imperatives. Oversee M&A support team to deliver strategic input into potential mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, partnerships and divestitures to ensure maximum returns on invested capital and consistency with the overall business. Proactively assess the competitive landscape for potential deals. Oversee and continuously improve the M&A process from outreach to business case development, Board review, negotiation strategy and deal closing for acquisitions and divestitures. Network with external advisors, incl. Investment Banking community to be ‘ahead of the game’ on key market opportunities and methodologies.
2. Mergers & Acquisitions Capability Building: Lead the development of M&A playbooks and process definition to interact with stakeholders throughout all stages of the M&A execution steps. Build internal training material and a ‘hotline’ approach to interact with stakeholders across the organization and drive a consistent M&A approach and quality level. Develop and nurture new external networks to enable M&A activity in ‘capability building’ areas across the skill set required for execution of our Strategic Imperatives.
3. Quantitative Analysis for M&A: Scope and plan any and all financial and quantitative analyses that will yield critical answers to M&A questions. Understand the required data sets to complete the analyses and procure them accordingly. Manage the delivery of timely, well triangulated analysis, and serve as a "Player/Coach" in this role.
4. Critical Communication Development & Business Reporting: Communicate effectively, both verbally and on paper, at the most senior levels of the organization. Oversee the development of major M&A presentations for senior executives. Mastery of valuation spreadsheets, and competency in Google Slides to create impactful, concise communication material.
5. Team Management: Build relationships with senior leaders and executives across regions and functions, to jointly identify potential targets. Guide, mentor and develop a team of high performing Sr. Managers and analyst staff. Effectively manage the day-to-day activities of cross-functional teams composed of individuals across different brands, function groups, and geographic regions. In addition, manage relationships with 3rd party advisors, where appropriate.
1. Relevant Experience: 7+ years of post-MBA experience at a top-tier investment banking, management consulting (Corporate Finance, M&A Practices), or private equity firm.
2. Education: A right-fit candidate will ideally possess an MBA from a top-tier school.
3. Superior problem solving and analytical skills: Strong judgment, problem- solving and analytical skills, both quantitative and qualitative, is critical.
4. Effective leadership skills: Ability to work cross functionally at all levels of the organization with effective team management and employee development skills. Strong project management, strategic communications and/or change management skills are extremely important. Experience working and influencing across multiple business units in a global enterprise.
5. Powerful communication: Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal, including confidence and presence to engage effectively with senior executives.
The candidate selected for this position will be an experienced M&A expert who likes the challenge and intensity of that environment, yet stays calm, keeps oversight in the midst of the deal and is resilient in challenging situations. This person will also need to be a self-motivated, high-energy individual who can easily function in a high demand, performance-driven environment. He/she must be accustomed to working on multiple tasks in parallel. This professional must demonstrate strong leadership skills, best demonstrated by the individual’s ability to gain credibility with team members and senior management.
The successful candidate will:
• Be highly motivated and possess a strategic mindset and enthusiasm
• Be team-oriented, recognize the accomplishments of others before the individual
• Be comfortable acting as an individual contributor and as a team manager (Player/Coach)
• Understand how to deliver on short time frames and be committed to meeting deadlines “no matter what”
• Communicate in an open and honest way that quickly builds trust and respect
• Possess an entrepreneurial spirit
• Be comfortable on his/her feet making presentations
• Possess the ability to build consensus, simplify the complex and develop clear communication and presentation materials to a variety of audiences
Whirlpool Corporation (NYSE: WHR) is the world’s leading kitchen and laundry appliance company, with approximately $20 billion in annual sales, 77,000 employees and 59 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2019. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, JennAir, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. Additional information about the company can be found at whirlpoolcorp.com.
Job Segment: Business Development, Manager, Consulting, Management Consulting, Sales, Management, Technology
- Whirlpool Jobs